When conducting my mis-cue analysis, I was paired with a
very unique 2nd grader named Gretchen. She was a sweet girl who was
eager to show me how well she can read. I later found out that Gretchen’s
teacher is working to create an IEP for her because she is concerned that her
reading level is dropping too significantly. The book that Gretchen selected to
read was titled Munch! Muncha! Muncha! She
was very excited to read this because she thought the title was silly!
The process of conducting the mis-cue went very smoothly. I can see how this tool can really tell me as a teacher how to direct instruction to a student. But then the question I need help with is what do you do with ALL these students with ALL these differing needs? Are we really meeting their needs sufficiently merely by have a few different leveled reading groups? I learned that students want to learn the material. They want to feel encouraged to complete their reading. I feel that one thing I took away is that regardless of how they performed it is essential to find something to compliment the student on. Another thing I took away form this is how to identify what parts of reading is a student struggling with. Are they skipping words? Mispronouncing words? And most importantly do these mis-cues alter the meaning that the author intended.
When looking at the mis-cues that is reader made, I learned that many of them did not alter the meaning of the content of the book. I believe this is not a horrible thing, because then we need to work on seeing words and working slowly through a text. At times, I felt that Gretchen was very rushed and skipping filler words that she should have said. I also learned that she made some mis-cues that needed to be discussed immediately. When a book builds on repition, I felt that I would be not giving Gretchen the full experience of the book if I did not help her break down a mis-cue.
I believe to help this reader grow I need to help her slow down as a reader and not worry as deeply about keeping a consistent fluency. Gretchen also needs to pay attention to each word on a page. Perhaps a strategy such as using a notecard while reading would really help her. Paying attention to one line at a time will narrow her focus.
The process of conducting the mis-cue went very smoothly. I can see how this tool can really tell me as a teacher how to direct instruction to a student. But then the question I need help with is what do you do with ALL these students with ALL these differing needs? Are we really meeting their needs sufficiently merely by have a few different leveled reading groups? I learned that students want to learn the material. They want to feel encouraged to complete their reading. I feel that one thing I took away is that regardless of how they performed it is essential to find something to compliment the student on. Another thing I took away form this is how to identify what parts of reading is a student struggling with. Are they skipping words? Mispronouncing words? And most importantly do these mis-cues alter the meaning that the author intended.
When looking at the mis-cues that is reader made, I learned that many of them did not alter the meaning of the content of the book. I believe this is not a horrible thing, because then we need to work on seeing words and working slowly through a text. At times, I felt that Gretchen was very rushed and skipping filler words that she should have said. I also learned that she made some mis-cues that needed to be discussed immediately. When a book builds on repition, I felt that I would be not giving Gretchen the full experience of the book if I did not help her break down a mis-cue.
I believe to help this reader grow I need to help her slow down as a reader and not worry as deeply about keeping a consistent fluency. Gretchen also needs to pay attention to each word on a page. Perhaps a strategy such as using a notecard while reading would really help her. Paying attention to one line at a time will narrow her focus.
I enjoyed taking this analysis of Gretchen’s reading. While
analyzing her data, I really could narrow down what she needs as a reader. One
thing I am left wondering about, is what to do when you have you have many
different needs for readers? How else do we differentiate out instruction other
than having leveled reading groups.
Overall, I am excited about this way of analyzing students.
I can’t wait to see them grow even more as readers and see their scores
improve!! J
No comments:
Post a Comment