Change is something that teachers
have to be very familiar with. Something that is very alarming to me is how the
classroom that I am learning to teach in is completely different than the
classroom that I grew up in. I chose the inquiry topic 21st Century Literacy because it is something that I want to gain
insight about. I want to spend time researching progressive new literacy
topics.
One element that I hope to find information about is the
latest ways teachers are using technology in their classroom. And how
successful this technology is in motivating and engaging students!? I want to
explore how teachers use technology and how the students responded to using the
technology! I am hoping this project helps me to take risks in the classroom
and not play it safe. We have all had those teachers that are so stuck in their
own traditional ways. Right? The ones that have not made changes to their
lesson plans in multiple years…? I never want to be sucked into that hole. This
is why this project is going to be extremely useful to help explore something
that will allow me to bring these new ideas into the classroom!
This aligns
with my teaching belief in creating a meaningful relevant learning. By focusing
my inquiry on 21st Century Literacy, I am looking to keep my
instruction an applicable to my student’s lives as possible. It will help me
stay up to date and progressive. Although I would like technology to be one of
the primary focuses to the board, I also want to dig deeper into teaching
strategies that are not necessarily the ones that are scripted in our teaching
curriculum. Most likely these are the same strategies their previous teacher
taught them, only digging a little deeper. The students need variety. They need
change! They need a teacher that is willing to go a little off track to teach
in a way that will impact the students positively.
Additionally
I believe that students need a teacher that shows passion and enthusiasm in her
teaching. One way they can do this is through literacy and new ways of teaching
literacy. Bringing these older traditional books to life and teaching them in a
way that makes student WANT to learn about them. Or finding a way to supplement
a lesson that is provided in the reading curriculum that helps students reaches
their goals. I believe the only way to do this is with excitement. It is so
clear that the students’ energy to learn is parallel to the teacher’s energy to
teach. If a teacher is able to teach in
an innovative way I believe he or she will be more passionate about their
teaching which will rub off on the students.
I am
looking forward to putting together this inquiry board to deepen my understanding
of what is going on out there!! Teachers need to stay on top of the new world
of teaching. They are now offering their students the best possible education
if they are not adapting to the new world! It is my goal to broaden my
perspective on how to teach literacy in the 20th century!
No comments:
Post a Comment