A teacher's classroom is a tool that is waiting to
be utilized by young learners. What are my beliefs on my classroom environment?
I believe everything in my classroom needs to have a purpose. Everything
from wall decorations, classroom layout, and classroom resources needs to help
facilitate learning to my students.
Starting with classroom arrangement, I believe
having a flourishing library needs to be one of the vocal points of a
classroom. A library full of rich literature at various reading levels can be a
resource that will help students get hooked on reading at a young age. I
believe a library can be useful if it is located in close proximity to a
reading table. As a teacher is teaching a reading lesson to a small group it
can be very valuable to have literature in physical reach. She can reference
different authors and enrich student learning by making these connections.
Organizing a library can be challenging, one thing that can assist a teacher is
her students. They are the ones using the libraries anyway! They are the ones
that is needs to make sense to! We need their input (Miller 40).
Along with a rich library, I believe having an area
in the classroom for students to sit on a rug and be comfortable can be useful
to alter the learning environment. This can serve as a flexible learning area
that can be used for whole group learning, comfy individual learning, and
collaborative group space. Having space, can open so many doors for teachers!
Just mix things up sometimes! Even taking it as far as moving your classroom.
If applicable why not go outside and teach a lesson? Take field trips as often
as you can! And make connections with the real world whenever possible!
Another thing I am excited to incorporate into my
classroom is CHANGE! I want to mix up how desks are formatted? Can I make a
"U", a circle, pods? If doing some type of simulation... is it
possible to make the desks emulate this? I believe making these changes is a
way of making the classroom more authentic. Miller states that creating this
authentic environment is a way to create literate and purposeful environments!
The walls of my classroom need to be a snapshot into their learning.
Much of the learning and thinking has to be made visible, public, and permanent
(Miller 39). I believe in having students show their personal work on the
walls. This can be a tremendous way to motivate and encourage students. The
thought that THIS writing piece is going to line the walls for all classmates
and instructors to see can be the extra nudge to help a student become excited
to complete an assignment. Although it may appear bare, that’s how it should
be! (Miller 42). You must know that that bare feeling will be transitioned into
a warm environment of student work! I believe their needs to be something on
the wall that are not actually made but the students but these messages need to
be some sort of resources to the students. It needs to be useful. It needs to relevant.
It needs to be used everyday!
Creating a classroom environment that is interative and changes is what
engages students. For example, counting the days of school, having some marking
on the wall is exciting and engaging because it changes everyday! Seeing a goal
chart get closer to achieving the goal is motivation for students. Students
what to be part of something that is changing!
Finally doing some small things that make the classroom feel warm make a
huge difference in the long run! Little things such as getting lamps, table
clothes, etc.… Miller suggest help make students feel more at home! These differences
help students because they may be in a situation where they do not have a warm
and cozy home. School must be a time that they feel welcome. They must feel
that they belong.
Katelyn- I totally agree with your feelings regarding the classroom library. I agree that it should be a focal point and utilized throughout instruction. My worry is that I will want to buy WAY to many books! $$$ :)
ReplyDelete